
Jammu, Feb 19: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah announced on Thursday that all closed tourist destinations would be thrown open by May.
He also revealed that the government is working on plans to introduce nine new tourist destinations to further strengthen and diversify the tourism industry in the Union Territory.
Winding up the discussion on Demands for Grants in the legislative Assembly here, Omar said his government worked “step by step” to revive tourism in the aftermath of the April 22, 2025, Pahalgam terror attack, at a time when many in the industry believed visitors would not return to the Union Territory for years.
He said the administration engaged extensively with tourism stakeholders, rebuilt confidence through sustained outreach, and gradually restored activity despite several destinations remaining closed and restrictions in place at key locations.
The CM mentioned that improving tourist infrastructure is a key priority, as visitors often point out that while Pahalgam, Gulmarg, and Sonamarg are exceptionally beautiful, they lack adequate basic facilities such as toilets and other conveniences.
“Repeat tourism is the real benchmark of a strong and sustainable tourism industry, and that is where the government is now placing its focus.”
Highlighting the turnaround, Omar noted that hotels in famous winter destinations like Gulmarg and Sonamarg are now operating at full capacity, while Srinagar is witnessing significant tourist footfall, asserting that these indicators reflect the steady revival of the sector.
“Tourism is a very important sector for Jammu and Kashmir. The reality is that when we were discussing the budget and grants last year, we had no idea that we would face such difficult circumstances (the Pahalgam attack that left 26 persons, mostly tourists, dead).
“We revived tourism at a time when we were forced to tell people that ‘you can come to Kashmir, but you cannot visit Doodhpathri or Yousmarg’. We even had to tell tourists that ‘you may go up by the gondola (cable-car), but you cannot move beyond the roadside eateries on the right side’. Despite all this, we gradually brought tourism back to life,” the chief minister said.
He stated that while the Centre has ordered the reopening of many tourist destinations, some sites remain closed.
“There are certain things I cannot state openly, but I can assure you that discussions have taken place with the Central government. They also have certain constraints. However, you can assume that by May, all these destinations will reopen,” the chief minister said.
Simultaneously, he mentioned that his government is exploring the potential of new destinations. “I had mentioned in this House last year that under multilateral funding, we wanted to open nine new destinations in J&K. The reality is that we had almost reached the stage of signing the multilateral funding agreement, but an obstacle arose which we could not overcome.
“Now, in consultation with the Centre, under a Centrally funded scheme, we will open nine new destinations. Their names will be released gradually. I assure you that people of Jammu will have no reason for complaint — Jammu will get its fair share,” he said.
In Jammu, he noted that some projects are nearing completion, including Jammu Lake and the Jammu Riverfront.
“Even the Riverfront project has certain limits — it has not been extended to its full length. After discussing with the department, we intend to extend the Riverfront to its complete end under SASCI or some other scheme, so that just as Ahmedabad developed the Sabarmati Riverfront beautifully, we too can enhance the pride and beauty of Jammu and take it forward,” Abdullah said.
He said the effort of his government is to retain these visitors here for at least six or seven days — through border tourism, pilgrimage tourism, golf tourism, or by taking them to places like Bhaderwah and other regions.
Kashmir is not a summer-specific tourist destination, the CM said, adding that the tourism season in the valley has expanded over the years.
“If you look at the winter season, places like Pahalgam, Gulmarg, and Sonamarg now witness fairly good tourist activity. In Srinagar and its surrounding areas, the Tulip Garden preponed the tourism arrivals,” he said.
However, Omar said it was true that in October and November, the tourist footfall used to be lower. “To address that, we developed a new garden, Bagh-e-Gul-e-Dawood (Chrysanthemum Garden), which proved to be very successful. Our effort will be to further develop it this year.”
Jammu, Feb 19: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah announced on Thursday that all closed tourist destinations would be thrown open by May.
He also revealed that the government is working on plans to introduce nine new tourist destinations to further strengthen and diversify the tourism industry in the Union Territory.
Winding up the discussion on Demands for Grants in the legislative Assembly here, Omar said his government worked “step by step” to revive tourism in the aftermath of the April 22, 2025, Pahalgam terror attack, at a time when many in the industry believed visitors would not return to the Union Territory for years.
He said the administration engaged extensively with tourism stakeholders, rebuilt confidence through sustained outreach, and gradually restored activity despite several destinations remaining closed and restrictions in place at key locations.
The CM mentioned that improving tourist infrastructure is a key priority, as visitors often point out that while Pahalgam, Gulmarg, and Sonamarg are exceptionally beautiful, they lack adequate basic facilities such as toilets and other conveniences.
“Repeat tourism is the real benchmark of a strong and sustainable tourism industry, and that is where the government is now placing its focus.”
Highlighting the turnaround, Omar noted that hotels in famous winter destinations like Gulmarg and Sonamarg are now operating at full capacity, while Srinagar is witnessing significant tourist footfall, asserting that these indicators reflect the steady revival of the sector.
“Tourism is a very important sector for Jammu and Kashmir. The reality is that when we were discussing the budget and grants last year, we had no idea that we would face such difficult circumstances (the Pahalgam attack that left 26 persons, mostly tourists, dead).
“We revived tourism at a time when we were forced to tell people that ‘you can come to Kashmir, but you cannot visit Doodhpathri or Yousmarg’. We even had to tell tourists that ‘you may go up by the gondola (cable-car), but you cannot move beyond the roadside eateries on the right side’. Despite all this, we gradually brought tourism back to life,” the chief minister said.
He stated that while the Centre has ordered the reopening of many tourist destinations, some sites remain closed.
“There are certain things I cannot state openly, but I can assure you that discussions have taken place with the Central government. They also have certain constraints. However, you can assume that by May, all these destinations will reopen,” the chief minister said.
Simultaneously, he mentioned that his government is exploring the potential of new destinations. “I had mentioned in this House last year that under multilateral funding, we wanted to open nine new destinations in J&K. The reality is that we had almost reached the stage of signing the multilateral funding agreement, but an obstacle arose which we could not overcome.
“Now, in consultation with the Centre, under a Centrally funded scheme, we will open nine new destinations. Their names will be released gradually. I assure you that people of Jammu will have no reason for complaint — Jammu will get its fair share,” he said.
In Jammu, he noted that some projects are nearing completion, including Jammu Lake and the Jammu Riverfront.
“Even the Riverfront project has certain limits — it has not been extended to its full length. After discussing with the department, we intend to extend the Riverfront to its complete end under SASCI or some other scheme, so that just as Ahmedabad developed the Sabarmati Riverfront beautifully, we too can enhance the pride and beauty of Jammu and take it forward,” Abdullah said.
He said the effort of his government is to retain these visitors here for at least six or seven days — through border tourism, pilgrimage tourism, golf tourism, or by taking them to places like Bhaderwah and other regions.
Kashmir is not a summer-specific tourist destination, the CM said, adding that the tourism season in the valley has expanded over the years.
“If you look at the winter season, places like Pahalgam, Gulmarg, and Sonamarg now witness fairly good tourist activity. In Srinagar and its surrounding areas, the Tulip Garden preponed the tourism arrivals,” he said.
However, Omar said it was true that in October and November, the tourist footfall used to be lower. “To address that, we developed a new garden, Bagh-e-Gul-e-Dawood (Chrysanthemum Garden), which proved to be very successful. Our effort will be to further develop it this year.”
© Copyright 2023 brighterkashmir.com All Rights Reserved. Quantum Technologies